Who We Are
Total Health Care, Inc., a fully licensed and federally qualified managed care organization, was founded and incorporated as a non-profit corporation on July 16, 1973 and is the oldest HMO in southeastern Michigan. It was first incorporated as Model Neighborhood Total Health Care (MNTHC), part of the federally subsidized model neighborhood programs of then President Lyndon B. Johnson. The organization had a strong community orientation and was located strategically within the City of Detroit at a major hospital center.
In November 1982, the organization was reincorporated under the name Total Health Care, Inc. and functioned as a staff model HMO whose delivery system consisted of three health centers, six associated hospitals, and several related referral facilities. Total Health Care expanded its service area in mid-1981 to include all of Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb counties, as well as portions of Monroe County. THC evolved to a mixed model HMO (staff/IPA) for a period of time, but assumed a strictly network IPA model in 1984.
Total Health Care, Inc. has a governing body consisting of six board members, four of whom are elected by the subscriber members and two who are appointed from the business and professional communities. It currently offers a comprehensive health care delivery system that includes the area’s leading health care networks, hospitals and physicians. The organization has been fully accredited by the National Committee on Quality Assurance since May of 2007. Its network consists of over 2,560 health care centers (offices for both PCPs and Specialists; 1105 offices for just PCPs) and more than 1,850 primary care physicians throughout Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, and Genesee counties.
Total Health Care, Inc. has served a vital role in the provision of managed health care in southeastern Michigan. Enhanced health and wellness strategies, development of preventative health programs, and growth in network providers are all ongoing objectives and integral parts of the corporate strategy for continued improvement.