Children’s Special Health Care Services
Children’s Special Health Care Services (CSHCS) is a program for children and some adults with special health care needs and their families. The CSHCS program:
- Focuses on family-centered services for over 2,500 diagnosis.
- Assist in locating resources
- Connects families to community-based services through local health departments
- Residency: Must be a Michigan resident.
- Citizenship: Must be a US citizen or documented non-citizen admitted for permanent residence or a non-citizen legally admitted migrant farm worker (i.e., seasonal agricultural worker).
- Age: Children must have a qualifying medical condition and be 20 years old or under. Persons 21 and older with cystic fibrosis or certain hereditary blood coagulation disorders commonly known as hemophilia may also qualify.
- Qualifying Medical Condition: A MDCH medical consultant reviews each case to determine eligibility. Severity and chronicity of the person’s condition, as well as the need for treatment by a specialist are factors considered. More than 2,500 diagnoses are potentially eligible. Click here for a list of these diagnoses.
For more information on enrollment:
- Contact your local CSHCS office
- Contact the CSHCS Family Phone Line at 1-800-359-3722
- Email the Family Center at email@example.com
Children with Special Needs Fund
Families with a child enrolled, or medically eligible to enroll, in the Children’s Special Health Care Services (CSHCS) Program may apply to the Children with Special Needs Fund.
For eligible recipients, the Fund may provide payment assistance for items including but not limited to:
- Wheelchair ramps
- Van lifts and tie downs
- Therapeutic tricycles
To apply for help from the fund, call the CSHCS office at your local health department for an application and assistance with the application process. You may also call the Fund at 517-241-7420, or the CSHCS Family Phone Line at 800-359-3722. Applications are available online at www.michigan.gov/csnfund.
The Family Center for Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs (FCCYSHCN)
- Staffed by parents of children with special needs
- Information and referrals
- Parent-to-parent support network
- Support to attend conferences, sibling workshops, and parent/professional trainings
CSHCS Family Phone Line 1-800-359-3722
THC’s CSHCS Program
Total Health Care’s (THC) Children’s Special Health (CSHCS) Care Service program can help you with coordination of your child’s medical condition. As a Total Health Care member, your child will be placed in the care coordinator program.
THC’s CSHCS care coordination program includes:
- Support from nurse case managers and other health care staff to help you manage your child’s condition.
- Nurses will work with the family and all your providers for care coordination and planning of your child’s health care needs.
- THC will provide education materiel that can help in the understanding of your child’s condition.
To speak with our CSHCS Nurse Care coordination, please call 1-800-826-2862, ext. 7884.
Multidisciplinary Specialty Clinics (CMDS)
THC contracts with CMDS clinics. CMDS clinics are CSHCS clinics modeled to provide a highly coordinated, interdisciplinary approach to the management of the CSHCS enrollees specified complex medical diagnoses Complex Case Managers. CMDS clinic locations can be found here.
Total Health Care CSHCS Program- Important Phone Numbers
- Transportation 1-800-826-2862 ext. 6408
- Pharmacy 1-800-826-2862 or 1-877-634-9202
- Durable Medical Equipment
- Binsons 1-888-246-7667
- J&B Medical Supply 1-800-737-0045